What Cyclists Dream Of and IC Friendly Slop, Sloppy, Sloppy Joe's

What Cyclists Dream Of

I took my traditional (three weeks in a row, baby) bike ride down to River Road today.  After several long days of rain, today it FINALLY let up.  Let me be the first to tell you that I have been really tired as of late.  All of the exercising has really let some steam out of my sails.  At night I basically fall into bed and become like a zombie while I am catching up on TV shows.  So, the rain really aided me in losing my momentum and tempted me to spend one more afternoon on the couch or in bed.  However, today I had no excuse. 

The ride was a hot one.  The past few weeks when I have went on this ride it has been cool, overcast and quite pleasant.  Today the sun was out, the sky was blue and the clouds puffy white.  Because of the rain I hadn't actually road on my bike since Tuesday.  This wasn't great for someone who was going to be in a triathlon relay in less than two weeks.  My legs were a little rusty and did I mention it was hot?  But I pushed on.

In the past when I got to Thurman Hutckins park, I have stopped, taken in the scenery and refueled.  However, today I decided not to stop.  I think I was trying to prove something to myself after so many days off of my bike.  The little pond and walking trail tempted me to pull over, but I resisted it and made my way out of the park to River Road.  As I was turning out of the corner of my eye I saw a few cyclist coming my way (I call them cyclists because they looked oh so very professional with their sleek helmets and cycling gear), but they were a little ways off so I turned onto the road and peddled as if my life depended on it.  These guys were obviously out of my league because within seconds I heard them yell, "Left" and was quickly passed.  I tried to keep up with them and did....okay.  Not great, not terrible, but before I knew it they picked up the pace and then I heard another, "Left!" "Left!" "Left!".  I was passed by at least another 25 cyclists.  I felt like I was in the middle of a swarm of bees.  And let me tell you, it was the most awesome feeling ever.  Even though they would kick my butt in any race any day of the week, I still loved it.  It was nothing less than exhilarating and such a rush. 

Unfortunately they were going really fast and I was turning off of River Road, so the moment passed.  I have to say it made me feel a little bit better when I saw one guy had turned off onto the road I was on and it was obvious he was completely out of breath.  The ride took everything out of him.  It gave me a little satisfaction when I had to yell "Left!" to pass him up. 

I plowed up those ridiculously long hills again.  And because I had been "trying" (I use that loosely as I wasn't really anywhere near close to them) to keep up with the cyclists I was super tired.  I also didn't take my pit stop either, which I was regretting.  When I got through the series of hills I came to a cross street where much to my surprise I saw the gaggle of cyclists again.  I kind of laughed to myself as they turned onto the same road that I was riding down and quickly passed me for a second time.  They actually made me miss my turn because I didn't want to give my turn signal and slow them down.  I wasn't angry though.  Just inspired.

One thing I do on these crazy long bike rides is dream of food.  Sometimes I can actually picture it in the air as I am riding.  Pizza, Mexican, Chinese, whatever crosses my mind.  I am usually always hungry when I ride and starving when I am done.  I imagine of all of the possibilities of what I could eat and this keeps me company until I get home. 

Comfort food is something I LOVE.  Unfortunately I have a restrictive diet so making something that I can eat and is comforting is a challenge.  However, after a good long bike ride I feel like I totally deserve it. 

Sloppy Joe's is something I loved as a kid and used to love making as an adult.  It was quick and easy to make.  Everyone was happy and full.  The other night I had some leftover roast that I had roasted in the oven and cooked in the crock pot and "Not Tomato Sauce" that I needed to use.  I threw it together in a pot, roasted some honey whole wheat bread on top of the stove with a little butter and called it dinner.  I had never served my husband something with my special sauce in it before, but he seemed to really like this combination (I know that because he didn't complain that he had to take it for lunch the next day).  My daughter, who can be pretty picky, liked it as well. 

And it would definitely hit the spot after a long bike ride (so much so I was dreaming about it on my ride today).


IC Friendly Slop, Sloppy, Sloppy Joe's

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 Cups of browned ground beef or leftover pot roast (chopped)
  • 1 Cup Not Tomato Sauce
  • 2 TBSP of minced garlic
  • 1 Bell Pepper, chopped (Any color you can tolerate, I used half yellow and half red)
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
Directions:

1.  If you are using ground beef brown ground beef until done.  If you are  using leftover roast chop it up and put aside.

2.  Add two tablespoons of olive oil to skillet and warm to medium heat.  Add garlic and let brown.

3.  Toss in peppers until they soften.

4.  Add meat and "Not Tomato Sauce".  Stir.

5.  Cook until heated.

6.  Enjoy!

Chopped Roast, Garlic, Olive Oil and Bell Peppers  

Browned Lightly Buttered Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Ezraela Eaven Inman (12.31.2013), Momma Loves You.

When You Go Down a Hill, You Have to Go Up Again

The Girl (With a Chronic Medical Condition) Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Traithlete.