Mushroom and Thyme Meatloaf Meatballs with Mashed White/Sweet Potatoes and Gravy (Holla!)

I have never been a huge fan of meatloaf...until I could no longer have your traditional meatloaf.  For some reason ever since hamburger smothered in ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce sounds better than it ever did before.  So you can imagine, when I was watching Rachael Ray and saw her make meatloaf with horseradish mash and gravy my mouth began to water (and I don't even like horseradish!).  I knew I wouldn't be able to replicate this recipe and stay true to my IC diet, but I could definitely tweak it here and there to make something delectable to satisfy my meatloaf craving.

And this is what I came with....you know you want some.


Some of the switch ups I made were olive oil for butter, cream cheese for sour cream, and parsley for chives.  I also try to add nutrients to meals where I can.  When I make my mashed potatoes I have recently started adding sweet potatoes.  My husband isn't too keen on sweet potatoes, but I can get away with it because I use a small amount of cream cheese instead of butter, which gives them a kick.  The sweet potato was an awesome accompaniment to the thyme in the meatballs and gravy. Sweet and savory, as Rachael likes to say.

Side note:  I have to give credit for my gravy making skills to my sister and her blog Allergic to Air,
While I was breastfeeding I had to omit dairy from my diet and she created a gluten free/dairy free version of her macaroni and cheese.  I use steps 1-3 on this blog for not only my mac and cheese making (which now does contain real cheese, thank goodness), but also my gravy.  My dad, who is a true southern boy, says that it is pretty darn good.

Ingredients

Meatballs
  • 3 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped 
  • Approximately 1 Cup of minced mushrooms
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Salt
  • 1 tablespoon of thyme (next time I will probably use 1/2 tablespoon for my husband's sake) 
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon of onion powder
  • 3 slices of whole wheat bread sliced in cubes (without the crust)
  • About 1 cup mik
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
  • 1 large egg lightly beaten 
Mashed White/Sweet Potatoes:
  • 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and chunked.  
  • 1 1/2 pounds of Sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked.
  • 2 oz. light cream cheese
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh parsley
Gravy:
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 32 oz. of beef stock
  • 1 tsp thyme (again probably would 1/2 it or omit for my husband's sake)
  • 1 tsp of garlic
Directions
  
Meatballs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

 1.  Heat a saute pan over medium heat.  Add minced garlic, celery and mushrooms.  Let simmer and cook down.

2.  While veggies are cooking add bread into cup of milk to soak.

3.  Add hamburger meat into a mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt to taste.  Add garlic powder, thyme, and onion powder to meet and kneed with hands. 

4.  Squeeze all of the milk out of the bread and add to the meat and mix.

5.  Once veggies are cooled add them and the egg to the meat and kneed with hands. 

(Steps 3-5 can be done all at once, but I like to do them separately to make sure everything is evenly distributed)

6.  Spray a cooking sheet.  Take meat and form into small balls (approximately 2 inches in diameter) and place on cooking sheet at least one inch apart.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes until no longer pink in the center.

 Mashed White/Sweet Potatoes

1,  Fill a pot halfway with cold water and turn to high heat while cutting potatoes.

2.  Peel and chunk sweet and white potatoes and add to boiling water (or whenever you are done cutting them, they will come to a boil eventually).

3.  While you are waiting for potatoes to cook, wash and mince fresh parsley.

4.  Once potatoes have cooked drain.  Add the remainder of the ingredients including half of the milk.  Mash until desired consistency.  If they are too thick for your taste, add more milk.

Gravy


1.  Add olive oil to a sauce pan on medium heat.

2.  Once olive oil is heated add flour and whisk. 

3.  After about 30 seconds add garlic powder and thyme and whisk for about 30 seconds.

4.  Add one cup of beef stock at a time and whisk until thickened.  Once thickened add more stock.  Take your time with this or your gravy will be lumpy. 

Serve

Once all three items are completed put a large scoop of the mashed potatoes on a plate.  Create a small bowl with the potatoes.  Place several meatballs in the bowl you have made.  Pour gravy on top.  And good luck with not wanting to go for seconds.  I basically had to strap myself to the chair so I couldn't leave the table. 


Comments

  1. Oh.my.stars! These look amazing! I may have to Whole30 them! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Ezraela Eaven Inman (12.31.2013), Momma Loves You.

When You Go Down a Hill, You Have to Go Up Again

The Blogosphere Meet and Greet