Crock Pot White Chicken Chili


It's a gloomy, stormy Saturday night and the first week of October, but the high today was in the 70s.  To say we have had a rather warm start to our fall is an understatement.  However, because of the rain the temperature is supposed to drop, leaving our Sunday with a slightly cooler, slightly more autumn vibe (which makes this boot lover very happy).  And you know what cool weather means?  No, I'm not talking about football or the return of all of your favorite TV shows, I am talking about crock pot soups and chili.

Six years ago (when diagnosed with interstitial cystitis) I had to give up all hopes of your traditional spicy, tomato filled chili.  I had to "settle" with the alternative.  I say "settle" in quotes, because aside from the fake chili in the chili cheese burritos at Taco Bell, I do not really miss red chili.  It's possible that my memory has failed me on the wonders of red chili as a coping mechanism.  Either way, I'm not going to complain. 

My mom always made white chicken chili, but because of the jalapeno peppers, it was not something I could eat.  All of the original recipes for chicken chili also have a ridiculous amount of cheese in them, which as I get older I realize I can't indulge in it as much as I used to.  It's been a long journey in perfecting my white chicken chili.  This recipe has combined everything I love in the smokey and savory taste of chicken chili without all of the calories and spice.  This recipe will have your family asking for more.

*Note* You can also garnish with Monterrey jack cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, or tortilla chips (or all of the above) to make those mouths even happier.

Ingredients
  • 32 oz. of chicken broth
  • 2 cups of water
  • 4 carrots, peeled and diced.  (I use a mini food processor to do this)
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced.  (I use a mini food processor to do this)
  • 28 oz. of Northern Beans (dry) 
  • 2 TBSP of cumin
  • 1 TBSP of paprika
  • 1 TBSP of onion powder
  • 1 TBSP of garlic powder
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
*Note you can use more or less beans and/or water depending on how thick you like your chili.  The beans will absorb the water, so keep that in mind while you are preparing your crock pot. 

*I also do not add salt to any of my chili or soups to keep it healthier and to allow each person to add the desired amount to their bowl.  

*If you are having someone over with IC or any other medical condition with a restricted diet always check with your guest to make sure they can have what you are cooking (down to what kind of chicken stock you use).  What may be tolerable to one IC patient may not be tolerable to someone else.  

 

 Directions

1.  Follow directions on the bag of Northern Beans to prepare them (soak for 8 hours or follow boil method).


2.  Once Northern Beans have been soaked or boiled put in crock pot with chicken stock, water, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, carrots, green pepper and chicken.  Allow to cook for 6-8 hours on low.

3.  Once you can shred the chicken, the chili is done.   

TIP:   The longer the chili cooks the better so the flavors can meld together.  I cooked the chili (without the chicken) over night and added the chicken 6 hours before it was to be served the last time I made it.  




STAY TUNED for my Wheat Pumpkin Corn Muffin Recipe.  You've never had a healthy corn bread recipe like this! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Ezraela Eaven Inman (12.31.2013), Momma Loves You.

When You Go Down a Hill, You Have to Go Up Again

The Blogosphere Meet and Greet