Pumpkin Honey Wheat Corn Bread Muffins


There are very few things in the world that are worse than dry corn bread.  In my quest to find a corn bread that does not crumble if you look at it funny, I have found all sorts of things that aren't that great for you.  Butter and a lot of sugar.  Both of these things aren't bad in moderation, but if you are like me you have a hard time with moderation when it comes to anything in the "bread" category.  Especially if it is of the sweet and corny kind. 

Last week I had a few friends over for chicken chili and wanted to make a special corn bread that was different and more importantly moist without the added fat and calories.  On a whim I googled pumpkin corn bread and found this recipe.

I changed quite a few things in the recipe and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  The texture mimicked your traditional cornbread recipe.  The muffins were definitely not dry, thanks to the pumpkin, which added a bit of a fall kick.  Next time I make them I may try to add blueberries and perhaps some traditional fall spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg (1 Cup of frozen blueberries, 2 tsp of cinnamon and ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.  If you try it let me know how it turns out!).   

I did eat them with a small dab of butter but they would also be great with cream cheese or blueberry preserves.  And yes because they are a healthier version of corn bread you can go ahead and have that second....or third muffin.  And why not feed them to your children for breakfast?


*Note* I automatically doubled this batch because I hate recipes that only call for half of a can of pumpkin.  It is probably one of my biggest pet peeves (I know, it doesn't take a lot). 

*I also try to use one bowl in my baking recipes.  I don't have the patience to divide everything separately and who wants to clean more bowls if you don't have to (or have your husband clean them)?  Not this girl!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk
  • 1 can of pumpkin
  • 4 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil
Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 375.

2.  Mix eggs, honey, pumpkin, oil together.

3.  Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Mix thoroughly.

4.  Add milk and stir carefully (so it doesn't spill over).

5.  Add corn bread and flour.

6.  Place paper liners in muffin tins and spray with cooking spray.

7.  Measure out mixture (I use an ice cream scoop) into muffin liners. 

8.  Bake for 16-18 minutes.  Watch them carefully.  They are done with a toothpick comes out clean.  Do not over cook or your muffins will be dry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When You Go Down a Hill, You Have to Go Up Again

Goodbye Ezraela Eaven Inman (12.31.2013), Momma Loves You.

The Girl (With a Chronic Medical Condition) Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Traithlete.